Ecuador Residency and Visa Requirements

Benefits of Residency

Imagine not having to worry about over staying your visa. As a tourist, you may only stay in Ecuador for 6 months out of the year. You must then leave or face fines and deportation for upwards of a year. With residency, you enjoy the benefits of duty free imports and you do not need to worry about how much time you have spent here. Best of all, you get to experience the culture of a great South American country with a low cost of living.

KI Residences Condo @ Sunset Way Clementi By Hoi Hup & Sunway (Launch  2019/20)

General Requirements

This information is accurate as of 08/14/11. Before arriving in Ecuador, you should verify with us that requirements for residency have not changed. The requirements for residency are known to change frequently Ki Residences.

The general requirements for residency include:

A police report on police letterhead for anyone age 18 or older. You must obtain the police report from your state police where you have lived for the last 5 years. No fingerprints are required. As of July 2011, police reports are once again required.

If married, a copy of your marriage certificate.

If filing for residency with any children under the age of 18, you must get a letter of good conduct from the child’s school. A birth certificate must also be provided for any child under the age of 18. If both parents are not present in Ecuador, you must obtain a letter of permission from the other parent stating that the child may apply for residency.

All documents must be notarized and be official copies from the proper agencies. You must bring all documents to your closest Ecuadorian consulate in order to get the documents legalized OR obtain an apostille seal from the Secretary of State where the document was issued. In the case of social security or pension letters, the consulate will apply legalization and issue a CERTIFICATION LETTER.

All documents in English must be translated into Spanish. Any bi-lingual notary can perform this task. The notary will apply their notary seal. Your closest consulate will then legalize the translations. You can also get translations done once you arrive in Ecuador.

You must arrive in Ecuador on a 12-IX visa. This visa comes in 3 and 6 month versions. You obtain this visa from your closest Ecuadorian consulate. The current cost is $230. Many of the requirements for the 12-IX are the same for residency. Once the consulate issues you the 12-IX, they will return your original documents back to you so you can then use them for residency. Some consulates have been known to issue the 12-IX while the client waits. If you cannot personally go to the consulate, it may be possible to exchange documents with them through courier or the mail. You should call your closest consulate to verify their requirements for the 12-IX and ask how they can best help you. In general, the 12-IX visa is good for up to one year after being issued. The first date you enter Ecuador will begin your 3 or 6 months. You may come and go as much as you want (the visa should be stamped “multiples”). Note: Sometimes, the consulates will make the 12-IX only valid for the dates of your travel based on your airline ticket.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *